The Director of Consumer Insights will be responsible for consumer and marketing understanding and the integration of consumer information and insights across the Consumer Decision Journey. He/ she insures the “voice of the consumer” in business decision making and acts as a strategic partner and consumer insight consultant in support of strategy, marketing plan and product innovation development
Principal Accountabilities and Key Activities
- Set the tone for consumer insights learning, empowerment for decision making and delivering deep consumer insights in simple story like fashion for actionable execution across and within functions that support a consistent brand narrative that engages our target consumers
- Lead efforts to gather and synthesize our extensive, disparate sources of consumer, transactional, social media, and market data into a more integrated, holistic view of the customer. Identify key business insights and emerging trends
- Complete consumer research initiatives including brand tracking, customer satisfaction surveys, and numerous "ad hoc" research initiatives covering product, brand, and store/online shopping experience.
- Advance data-based decision making by leveraging extensive retail customer/transactional data, combined with quantitative and qualitative research data, to develop consumer insights that will inform and drive product, retail and brand messaging and strategy
- Gather and synthesize internal and external data to identify key customer/market insights, identify/predict trends and present feedback to marketing leadership and company executives to inform Coats Crafts NA Brands overall portfolio strategy and plans
- Use data to drive consumer discovery, engagement, delight, and retention.
- Help the team turn "insights into actions" by identifying and prioritizing initiatives most important to delighting our customers and driving business/profitability growth
- Deliver research expertise, succinctly interpreting and synthesizing multi-source data to insights that lead to actionable strategies and plans for the brands and got to market strategies. Innovate richer research capabilities
Primary: use deep knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies to understand and predict consumer behavior, purchase motivation and identify category, channel, product and marketing opportunities
Secondary: address business issues and provide macro learning and thought leadership.
- Partner cross-functionally to develop test agenda across all areas. Lead steering committee to coordinate tests, communicate results, and align on actions/changes based on results.
- Develop a more rigorous testing methodology and measurement capability
- Track and analyze global consumer trends for both digital and physical products.
- Support, facilitate and empower teams through consultation, education and access to insights
- Timely and regular attendance is an expectation of performance for all Coats employees.
- Lift at least 20 pounds
- Bend, stand, reach, and sit for periods of time
- Ability to make decisions with limited information
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Ecommerce or Business Administration. Minimum fifteen (15) years experience in marketing, trade marketing, product management, sales or related field
- Previous success at translating data into action across functions that drive results
- Broad thinking and strong thought leadership to deliver broader business contexts
- Very strong Business Acumen to fully understand business issues to tackle and provide meaningful, impactful recommendations
- Ability to analyze and synthesize large amounts of data to problem solve across the organization
- Expertise in multi-channel consumer marketing
- Worked in a sophisticated CPG environment and then an entrepreneurial business
- Thorough knowledge and command of research methodologies, techniques and processes, preferably in a retail organization
- P&L responsibility
- Ability to prioritize across multiple competing demands and manage to tight budgets and deadlines
- Disciplined marketing processes
- Worked with an indirect sales organization/comfortable with customers
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills with the ability to convert key takeaways in a clear and visual manner
- Advanced MS Office skills.
- Ability to plan, develop, and follow-through on various tasks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential business and personnel information
- Action focused
• Experience in the Crafts industry
• Demonstrated impact to profitable sales growth
• Clear understanding of consumer triggers for purchase decisions
• Participation in the industry as a super user
• Significant member of industry associations
• Recognized expert in CPG behavioral traits