The Director Product Development & Brand Development is responsible for the brand portfolio and strategic direction of product development and launch from concept to endless shelf that generates double-digit annual volume growth through innovative programming, new products and superior implementation and merchandising while improving GP as % of Net Sales. P&L review and execution, Initial product cost management, and complimenting customer, inventory, and corporate operations strategy.
1. Develop existing and new product/program strategies including format, packaging, secondary display vehicles and target costs in conjunction with internal and external resources
2. Lead and manage Product Marketing Mangers on initial sourcing for new products and development of turn over package for purchasing/sourcing including product spec detail
3. Manage merchandising direction/integrated branded product marketing and team
4. Manage Creative services team, integrated branded design direction and team
5. Manage, recruit and motivate an “A” level staff of Product Marketing and Brand Management professionals.
6. Champion of the Coats brands and products internally and externally through exemplary external and internal presentations.
7. Actively and regularly interface with Sales, Supply Chain & Strategic Sourcing, Manufacturing, Digital, Customer Service, and Finance for on time new product and new customer launches
8. Expected to lead and develop other relevant departments’ current understanding of trends to translate into growth and profitable opportunities.
9. Responsible for the PD, Creative Services and Brand Marketing expense budgets
10. Accountable for brand & SKU level profitability
11. Reviews product performance and provides regular reports, interpretation, recommendations, expectation and needs to management team.
12. Attends trade-shows, client meetings, manufacturer visits, and seminars contributing to knowledge base as necessary.
13. Participates in sourcing, inventory management relating to manufacturing capacity, audits, and testing issues.
14. Provide leadership & support in the ongoing development of accurate product line sales forecast/volume budgets.
• Timely and regular attendance is an expectation of performance for all Coats employees.
• Lift at least 20 pounds
• Bend, stand, reach, and sit for periods of time
• Ability to make decisions with limited information
Education, Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Business Administration. Minimum seven (7) years’ related sales or marketing management experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Excellent project management skills.
• Proficient with financial cost value relationship and perceived value to sell price.
• Expert with retail math calculations ie; sales turns, sales curves etc.
• Brand and Product hierarchy and positioning expertise
• P&L experience
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities in a fast paced environment.
• Demonstrated skills in bringing disciplined marketing processes into an organization.
• Superior communication and interpersonal skills – Very High EQ
• Worked in a sophisticated CPG environment and then an entrepreneurial business
• Worked with an indirect sales organization/comfortable with customers
• Previous experience in product development and project management, product design, and sourcing.
• Advanced MS Office skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to maintain confidential business and personnel information
• Action focused
• MBA is a plus.
• Experience with Channel Specific Retail Sales including multi-channel Consumer Marketing; familiarity with POS, NPD, Nielsen, and Retail Link.
• Experience with International Sales
• Dynamic/go-getter personality that will push back against the status quo
• Familiarity with Licensing Agreements
• Growing beyond a myopic business that is over-reliant on a major customer like Wal-Mart.
• Supporting a new approach brought about by a President who is on a mission